How to Become a Volunteer:
- Read this Volunteer Page in full.
- Download and complete the Volunteer Application at the link below. Volunteers are accepted year-round, except during August when the barn is closed.
- Call M.A.R.E. at 661.589.1877 to schedule your place for Volunteer Orientation and Training.
- Come to Orientation and Training; bring your completed Application. You will watch a video about hippotherapy, tour the facility, and be trained in stall cleaning and sidewalking. (Allow approximately 2 hours.)
- Sign up and get started!
M.A.R.E. is a non-profit organization that serves approximately 50 riders each week and has 11 horses that require daily care. This can be difficult to manage with a small staff. Therefore, many of the daily needs of our riders’ lessons and horses are provided by a committed group of volunteers who donate time to sidewalk, lead horses, and complete maintenance tasks. You do not need to have horse experience to help at M.A.R.E.; we will train you. The importance of the dedicated volunteers to the staff and the riders can never be underestimated.
M.A.R.E. welcomes those who are interested in donating their time and expertise to M.A.R.E. on a consistent basis. We understand that your life is busy and that it can be difficult to give time on a consistent basis, but that is precisely what M.A.R.E. needs. As you assist the riders, they get to know YOU and look forward to seeing YOU and having YOU work with them.
If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering at M.A.R.E., please call us at 661.589.1877 or email email@example.com and we will be glad to answer your questions.
Volunteer Job Description
- Must like children, horses, dust, flies, and sunshine!
- Be a minimum age of 14 years old.
- Be physically able to maintain a steady fast paced walk, with arm elevated for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time while walking in a sandy footing.
- Be able to jog one time around the arena.
- Be able to tolerate temperatures ranging from 30 to 105 degrees F.
- Be physically capable of assisting in an emergency dismount and possess the ability to remain calm in an emergency.
- Be willing to learn and follow M.A.R.E. procedures.
- Be able to accept constructive feedback.
- Be able to follow directions and act as a silent helper, most of the time.
- Be able to commit to a consistent volunteer schedule on weekday mornings or afternoons or Saturday morning. (Closed Sundays.)
- Appropriate clothing, nothing revealing or low cut. No tank tops or spaghetti straps.
- Long pants, jeans, or riding breeches are best. No sagging pants. Shorts may be worn in the summer but must be no more that 2” above the knee.
- No dangly earrings or other jewelry or scarves.
- Closed-toed shoes required. Boots or shoes with socks covering your ankles are preferred.
- Hats, sunscreen, and sunglasses are recommended.
- NO cell phones while volunteering.
- Arrive when scheduled or notify the M.A.R.E. staff by phone, 661.589.1877, or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are unable to work your scheduled shift.
- Assist in pre-lesson preparation such as, grooming, tacking, and warming up horses.
- Assist instructors and therapists by leading horses or acting as a safety sidewalker for M.A.R.E. riders.
- Perform tasks as assigned by M.A.R.E. staff such as: cleaning stalls, feeding hay or grain, grooming and bathing horses, gardening, washing buckets, sweeping, watering, mopping, dusting…