MARE is a non-profit organization that serves approximately 50 riders each week and has 13 horses that require daily care. This can be difficult to manage with a small staff. Therefore, many of the daily needs for our riders’ lessons and horse care are provided by a committed group of volunteers who donate time to sidewalk, lead horses, clean stalls, and assist with facility care and maintenance tasks. You do not need to have horse experience; we will train you. The importance of the dedicated volunteers to the staff, riders and horses can never be overstated.
MARE welcomes those who are interested in donating their time and expertise on a consistent basis. We understand that your life is busy and that it can be difficult to give time on a consistent basis, but that is precisely what MARE needs. As you assist the riders, they get to know YOU and look forward to seeing YOU and having YOU work with them.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in volunteering, please call us at 661.589.1877 or email volunteer@MAREridingcenter.com to have your questions answered.
How to Become a Volunteer:
- Read this Volunteer Page in full.
- Download and complete the Volunteer Application at the link below. Volunteers are accepted year-round, except during August when the barn is closed.
- Call MARE at 661.589.1877 to schedule your place for Volunteer Training.
- Come to Volunteer Training; bring your completed Application. You will watch a video about hippotherapy, tour the facility, and be trained in stall cleaning, safety protocols, and sidewalking. (Allow approximately 2 hours and wear appropriate shoes and clothes that can get dirty.)
- Sign up and get started!
- Must like children, horses, dust, flies, and sunshine!
- Be a minimum age of 14 years old.
- Be physically able to maintain a steady fast-paced walk, with arm elevated for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time while walking in a sandy footing.
- Be able to tolerate temperatures ranging from 30 to 105 degrees F.
- Possess the ability to remain calm in an emergency.
- Be willing to learn and follow MARE procedures.
- Be able to accept constructive feedback.
- Be able to follow directions and act as a silent (most of the time) helper.
- Be able to commit to a consistent volunteer schedule on a weekday morning or afternoon or Saturday morning. (Closed Sundays.)
- Appropriate clothing: nothing revealing or low cut, no tank tops or spaghetti straps.
- Long pants, jeans, or riding breeches are best. No sagging pants. Shorts may be worn in the summer but must be no more that 2” above the knee.
- No dangly earrings or other jewelry or scarves. Long hair must be pulled back or up.
- Closed-toed shoes that do not flop are required. Boots or shoes with socks that cover your ankles are preferred.
- Hats, sunscreen, and sunglasses are recommended.
- NO cell phones while volunteering. We have a place for you to keep your phones and keys.
- Arrive when scheduled or notify the MARE staff by phone, 661.589.1877, or by email, volunteer@MAREridingcenter.com, if you are unable to work your scheduled shift.
- Come appropriately dressed and be prepared to perform a variety of tasks which could include: cleaning stalls, arena set up or take down, horse grooming, sidewalking, cleaning offices, cleaning tack, gardening, washing brushes and buckets, sweeping, watering, dusting . . .